So I’ve already shown you my lemon cupcakes. But these are lemon MERINGUE cupcakes. Far more superior. These are without doubt my most favouritist most deliciousist cupcakes I have ever eaten. The sharpness of the lemon curd. The sweet softness of the meringue. The crumbly moist sponge. My goodness. I’m coming over all unnecessary. If you bake these, I assure you, you will NOT be disappointed. The meringue really is super easy as it doesn’t need proper baking. It’s supposed to be soft.
If I am voting in National Cupcake Week for a winner, then this is it. The Mighty Lemon Meringue!!!
For the cupcakes
- 100g butter, softened
- 100g sugar
- 2 eggs
- 100g self-raising flour
- 1 lemon, zest only
- 75g ready-made lemon curd
- Preheat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until pale and fluffy.
- Crack in the eggs, one at a time, and beat into the mixture.
- Fold in the flour and lemon zest until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases. Add a big dollup of lemon curd to the top of each cupcake.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are pale golden-brown and spring back when pressed lightly in the centre.
For the meringue
- 2 egg whites
- 100g sugar
- Whisk the egg whites until soft peaks form when the whisk is removed. Gradually add the sugar, whisking continuously, until stiff peaks form when the whisk is removed and the mixture is thick and glossy.
- When the cakes are cooked, turn off the oven and preheat the grill to its highest setting.
- Spoon or pipe the meringue over the cupcakes. Place them under the hot grill for 2-3 minutes, or until the meringue is golden-brown.
Recipe taken from http://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/lemonmeringuecupcake_92527