Sweets AND cake? In one? Now you’re talking. These little pretties were made for my friends summer birthday. They’re so cute! I mean, they’re only your standard vanilla sponge and buttercream, and the decoration is beyond simple. But they still managed to impress. They looked fab, if I do say so myself. Lots of us don’t eat sweets as grown ups (sad fact). So I think to be presented with them like this makes us feel all nostalgic and kid-like again.
- 175g unsalted butter, softened
- 175g caster sugar
- 3 eggs
- 175g self-raising flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
Topping & decoration:
- 75g unsalted butter, softened
- 350g icing sugar
- 50ml milk
- Dolly mixtures, jelly beans, any kind of sweet you like!
- Preheat the oven to 190C/Gas 5.
- Cream the butter and sugar together in a large mixing bowl until pale, fluffy and well combined.
- Crack in the eggs, one at a time, and beat into the mixture.
- Fold in the flour and baking powder until well combined.
- Spoon the mixture into 12 cupcake cases.
- Bake the cupcakes in the oven for 15-20 minutes, or until they are pale golden-brown and spring back when pressed lightly in the centre.
- Leave to cool in the tin for 5 minutes, then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the topping, whisk to butter and icing sugar together, adding the milk at the end, always whisking.
- Using a palette knife, spread a little over each cake. Or pipe it. It’s up to you. I did a bit of both. Next decorate with your sweets. A light sprinkling of hundreds and thousands finished the job.